Sunday, June 13, 2010

Closet doors get a new life

I am often asked, "Where do you get your ideas?" Well, sometimes I steal, oops I mean borrow them from other people and sometimes I just let the people, places and things around me inspire me. Take my closet doors for example.



I found these metal closet doors at a local salvage yard in Mesa, they were $10 a piece. I probably could have found them at Goodwill and waited until dollar day to get them, but at the time, I needed them quickly....anyway
I brought them home (I purchased three)and took off the nasty old hardware and washed them off and then sprayed them with "heirloom white"



Why do I need these you ask? Well, let me tell you! Recently we have had two different wedding receptions in our backyard. And me being the perfectionist I am needed something to cover a huge brick wall that was going to be the backdrop to the cake tables. I couldn't think of what to use....until I discovered the metal doors at the salvage yard. I went there thinking I could find something to make a divider screen, but the lattice and wood was too expensive. "Aah, ha" I said to Jackson while he looked up at me from his car seat,
"I can use these, I will make them into giant magnet photo boards." AWESOME!!! I'm sure Jackson was equally excited!! Anyway.....

So, after I painted them...I dashed up to Home Depot to find some new hardware for them. I needed something "fancy" this was for a wedding after all. And guess what I found in the clearance section? Three glass knobs! NICE, I was able to pick up some super nice, really heavy glass knobs for $6.00 a piece. I know this may seem like a lot, but really if you could see them and feel them you would understand. :-)

Onto the magnets....I needed to make "pretty" magnets to hold the pictures. I went to Michael's and searched through their clearance jewelry bins and found lots of pieces that I attached a magnet to the back of and....
Aren't they cute? I thought so.

I think they were a perfect addition to the wedding reception. It allowed the bride and groom to display some candid pictures of themselves and also created a unique backdrop to the cake table.


I love to walk up and down the isles at stores. Especially thrift stores. I love to take something weird, odd, "unknown" and see what I can do with it. That's the best part about thrifting and re-furbishing...seeing beyond what something looks like now, but what it COULD look like later.

Happy Thrifting,

Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment