Friday, June 18, 2010

To paint or NOT to paint

I wanted to start by saying "Thank You" to those of you who offered your opinion on whether or not I should paint anything more onto my table.


As of right now, I have decided to NOT paint anything else on it. But I have however decided to jazz up something else.

A few weeks ago, I stumbled upon another wonderful thrift store over in Chandler and found this table.



It was listed for $10, but I asked the guy working if he would take $5. He said, "Oh sure, you look like a nice lady"....wow, what a deal I thought. I must need to put make up on more often! :-) Anyway, I loaded her up and brought it home and added to my growing pile of furniture in the garage. Yes, yes Scott has told me that I cant buy anything else until some of it is gone, but when you find a "treasure" as I call them, you must jump on it....you wouldn't want someone else to get "your" find!!
I loved the curves on this table. I thought it was really unique, well maybe not unique, but different. Anyway, I had seen in a magazine recently a room that was painted a slate gray color and had some bright yellow accent pieces. I thought, hmmm...maybe I can decorate my craft room like that. So I bought some "Summer Squash" spray paint.....Oh my goodness! I guess I'm just not ready for that kind of a statement just yet. I will stick to the summer squash in my garden.



I went with my old stand by of Semi-gloss black.



But this time I DID decide to paint something else on it. I cut out a design on my cricut and laid it over the dry paint. Then I sprayed on a layer of Satin "heirloom white" and then once that was dry I took some "Burnt Umber" acrylic paint and watered it down a bit and then lightly ran a rag across the paint to add a little color. I rubbed off the excess. Once it was dry, I sanded it slightly to add a little extra "aged" look.




I love this table. I think the extra little detail of the paint adds a little touch of surprise. Maybe one of these days I will get up enough nerve to actually paint something "Summer Squash" but until then, I will continue to LOVE my semi-gloss black.



Thanks for stopping by,

Kris

2 comments: