Monday, June 18, 2012

Super Chic Thrift Store Lamps

Have you ever seen a picture of something really bright and funky in a magazine or at a one of those real trendy stores and thought, "I'd love to do that" or "I'd really like to have those?" Well, I usually shy away from super "trendy" things and colors. Not because I don't love them but because I'm entirely too cheap to be constantly changing my style.

That was until I found the most amazing lamp at Target the other day. I was going through the clearance section and stumbled upon the most beautiful color of yellow lamp and coordinating shade.



This is the shade..."Where's the lamp" you ask? well, I was too cheap to buy it. It was marked down to $29.98 but I wanted two of them and the matching shades and those were $9.98 each and that would have made them $40 each and I wasnt willing to pay that much. So I left the store empty handed. But lucky for me it was Thursday and you know what Thursday is? Yep, that's right....its dollar day at Goodwill. Guess what I happen to stumble upon at Goodwill for $1.00



Yep....Not just one but two lamps




They were almost the exact same size and shape of the two at Target I had found earlier in the day. The only difference was that mine were probably 25 years old and a totally different color but I wasnt about to let that stop me. Of course if you remember I left Target empty handed, so I had to go back and get those wonderful shades. $2.00 for the lamps and $20.00 for the shades making them only $11.00 each. I guess I can afford that.....but wait is that what I really ended up paying???? NOPE! I grabbed the two shades that I needed and didnt notice until I got up to the register that they were attached together with some sort of plastic wrapping and when the cashier tried to get them apart she couldnt and said, "humm, I guess they are two for the price of one" SWEET!!! Make that two shades for $9.98 and two lamps for $2.00 making them $11.98 for TWO awesome lamps (well almost awesome).

The lamps were still pretty ugly, so I grabbed my trusty can of spray paint and went to work...



Not too shabby if I do say so myself





And here is the finished lamp with her beautiful shade!!!



I WAS totally in love with these lamps and even used them to help stage my recent buffet re-do




but apparently one of the couples that saw my buffet for sale on Craig's List loved them too and guess what? They bought them both....(and the buffet) I guess I will have to go on the search for some more awesome lamps. What have you found lately??? I'd love to hear your "Trash to Treasure" stories.

Thanks for stopping by,

Kris





No comments:

Post a Comment